Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Skimmers


My roommate/photographer extraordinaire, who is from Cape Cod, referred to my shoes this morning as "skimmers". I have never heard that term for dress flats before, but I kind of love it.

This shirt has gone into the Goodwill pile and then been rescued several times. Things I like about it: it's lightweight but dressy, perfect for teaching on a warm day, and the neckline is flattering. Things I don't like about it: the color is a very dull, washed-out blue, so it's hard to pair with anything bright, and I can never decide if I like where the waist shaping is or not. I thought I'd give it one more try and see if I could make it work. I paired it with gray pants to look professional and then tried to add some color with red accessories. I wanted a red necklace but don't own one, so I stole this trick from academichic of putting a pretty earring on a chain. I really liked the way it came out! Still not sold on the blue shirt though. Thoughts?

Today in class I got to explain the phrase "That's what she said," as it apparently comes up a lot in conversations my students overhear in the dining hall. Thanks a lot, undergrads.

Blue shirt: Max Studio via TJMaxx
White cami: ancient
Gray pants: Apostrophe via Sears
Red flats: Banana Republic
Red earring, remixed as necklace: booth at the Alaska state fair
Ladybug ring: ancient (originally a toe ring)
Watch: Target
Earrings: booth at a farmer's market

5 comments:

  1. How exactly did you explain "That's what she said"????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said first, that it's a juvenile joke - that when you hear the person you're speaking to say something that might be sexual, something that a woman might say during sex, you respond with "That's what she said!". Then I said that this joke became so common that the phrase is now used on its own, in situations where the sexual joke doesn't exist.

    Then I told them to never, ever say it to their advisors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue shirt looks awesome on you, doofus. I like the waist shaping option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the blue shirt on you. Don't get rid of it!

    And don't you ever read Lands End or LL Bean catalogs? The shoes are always referred to as "skimmers." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are so sweet. :)

    The roomie says that skimmers are any slip-ons that are not boat shoes. Boat shoes? You east coasters and your funny footwear.

    ReplyDelete