Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day One: One Week Wardrobe Capsule Challenge!

This week we're three: B, C, and E! Many of you are probably familiar with wardrobe capsule challenges. In a nutshell, we are allowed to pick a certain number of items and wear only those all week. It's a study in packing light! Our rules are simple: 10 major clothing items (shirts, pants, dresses, etc. and shoes), and 5 accessories. As I stood before my closet last night, I was surprised to find I wear about this many different items in a week normally (should I be worried?). Once I had all the items out on the bed, I realized it's quite a bit to choose from, and my worries about looking like a one-trick pony (or just a really badly dressed person with no access to a laundromat) quickly vanished.

I've decided to revolve all color choices around one anchor color: brown. I started out by choosing my shirts, and discovered that all the shirts I chose would look great with brown. I'm also going to try out a new mustard cardi, so I hope I can work that in a couple times.



Green sweater: Banana Republic via outlet
Turquoise tank: Express
Brown long-sleeve tee: Old Navy, swapped
Fuschia cami: Old Navy
Mustard cardigan: Banana Republic via outlet
Jeans: makeyourownjeans.com (worth every penny)
Brown capris: Old Navy
Brown Dress: J.C. Penney
Sandals: kimchi blue via Urban Outfitters
Boots: Madden Girl via Marshalls
Orange/pink/purple plaid scarf: Urban Outfitters
Green silk scarf: gifted from Bavaria!
Bracelet: Lia Sophia
Necklace: gifted
Ring: gifted, homemade

Outfit Number One: Monday

Items: Mustard Cardigan, Plaid Scarf, Jeans, Boots, and a Turquoise Tank.





I like it! It's the best outfit I've worn in weeks. First, it's actually an outfit, not just jeans and a shirt. Second, I love the bright colors on a bright day. The sweater is actually pretty light, so even though it's going to get pretty warm for a fall day here in New Hampshire, I think I'll be okay.

The biggest risk for me were the boots. I am generally of the opinion that boots-outside-pants are only for the thin, because I've got sizable (though muscular!) calves that just look bigger when encased by layers of pant and shoe. But you know? I'm kind of digging it. It wasn't easy stuffing my regular jeans into those boots, but I think it was worth it.

Self-proclaimed victory.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the colors of this outfit! Can't wait to see what else you're going to do this week.

    Even better is the confidence and sassitude. It's so great to see you working' it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock those boots C-- Rock EM! I love the cheerfulness of this outfit. Definitely very you :).

    --E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of different colors, and it all looks amazing. And it's so obvious that you feel good in what you are wearing, which automatically makes the outfit look even better. I dig it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mustard cardi - I have one a well, and debated including it in my challenge wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete