Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fresh honey.



Buh. I am, as the Brits say, completely knackered. I took off directly from campus yesterday in order to help my uncle with his first ever honey harvest! That's right, honey. My uncle started keeping bees this spring, in an effort to help preserve this at-risk population. Last night he rounded up several willing helpers and we brought in over 45 pounds of honey. It was a truly awesome experience, but it involved a two hour drive last night and another this morning, staying up way past my bedtime, and a lot of (very sticky) work.

Thus, a very simple outfit for a fall teaching day consisting of my go-to denim pencil skirt and the yellow-purple color combo I enjoyed so much last week. Please ignore the messy hair - my hairbrush is, I'm pretty sure, in my aunt and uncle's gues bathroom. D'oh.

The fruits of our labor:

YUM.

Purple button-down: j.crew
Denim skirt: Levi's via Sears
Belt: thrifted (at Goodwill for $1!)
Yellow shoes: Target
Watch: Target
Earrings: Target
Necklace: gift from my Russian friends

3 comments:

  1. I'm really liking what's going on with the denim skirt today. It's farm-ish in an urban (and chic) way, if that makes any sense. As always, I love the shoes. :)

    So, is it hard to keep bees? It's something I've thought about doing before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have any pics of the honey harvest, I would love to see them. I've wondered how difficult it is to do. Sadly I don't have space for anything like that right now. But maybe in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, C. :)

    My uncle went to a training course at the local community college - you need a lot of information and technique, but I don't think it's a ton of work. You have to check on the hive regularly and keep it clean, feed the bees in the spring, and harvest the honey in the fall.

    Tina - I'm doing a whole slideshow for my uncle (as soon as I get caught up on homework!), so I'll be sure to send it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete