Friday, September 11, 2009

interview shminterview



the good:

today i finally had an interview! and it went well! and i think i looked pretty good! and i got to wear shoes i haven't worn yet!

the bad:

today i had an interview at a company i don't want to work for. it is at an electronics manufacturing plant, so it is actually counterproductive to wear cute gray heels, as you are on your feet and walking around all day in a PLANT.

analysis:

i feel guilty because i know i should want this job, and it's temporary work so it's not the end of the world, and the hours are only 8-3, so that's great. but really? REALLY? i cannot help but feel slightly bitter that my master's degree has only helped me to get a temporary job at a factory filing invoices and doing (these are Doug-the-manager's words) "trivial, menial work." i get that i have to work my way up in the world, that i can't start from the top, that the economy is sucky, and that life isn't fair, but i'm just...disappointed.

in other news, i got in touch with the adult learning center person! i meet with her on tuesday to start talking about when i can volunteer to tutor a few times a week. also, i got my chocolate kit today! now i can start having tasting parties (p.s. interested in booking one, anyone?).

meh. a mixed bag of feelings today.

p.s. i wanted to say that i agree with B: my favorite sound in the world is heels clacking on linoleum! i got to clack a lot today at the plant, which was incredibly satisfying. so, if nothing else, i had an excuse to parade my fave gray heels (that i got at for a great bargain! only $12 on clearance!).

undershirt: fashion bug
button-up blouse: t.j. maxx (while i was with B!)
pin-striped pants: torrid
gray heels: cora via journey's
jewels: necklace (lia sophia party), ring (discount egyptian goods store)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the interview! And I can totally relate to this type of sucky-economy-driven dilemma: I like my new job a lot, but you would not believe how freaking small my paychecks are. It's scary. Anyway, I'm sure you looked fantastic! I'm enjoying the blog. Come visit me in Hanover! (Actually, across the river from Hanover.) -S

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does suck that all your hard work isn't rewarded in the job market. Maybe it would help to think of it as a transitional job - one of my good friends worked for years at a job she hated to support herself while she was apprenticing to be a tattoo artist. Now she's able to make her living doing work she loves.

    On the plus side, you look wonderful! I'd hire you in a second. Especially in those shoes. I covet them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the pose. Work it, Girl!

    ReplyDelete