Saturday, February 20, 2010

the sneaky knot

So I do not own many crewneck shirts. I think they make me look short and squat and bulldozerish. I tend to stick to boatnecks and v-necks and turtlenecks. When I fall in love with a cruel, cruel crewneck, such as this lovely soft jewel-tone sweater, I tend to try to break up the neckline by layering it over or under something.

Yesterday I was substituting for another ESL teacher and wanted to stay a little on the conservative side, so once again I thought of this sweater and a pencil skirt. For a different way of camoflaging the neckline I tried the "sneaky knot" recently featured on academichic.


Results? Meh. The scarf didn't totally hide the neckline when tied this way, and the "sneaky knot" creates a lot of bulk down the front, which is kind of distracting for someone who waves her hands around as much when teaching as I do. It's also an impediment to good hugs. I do not think clothing should interfere with hugs.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Top: BR outlet
Skirt: GAP outlet
Scarf: gift from mom
Tights: street vendor in Russia
Boots: Burlington
Earrings: Fred Meyer's

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree that the sneaky knot is giving you a little unneeded bulk. However, it is definitely doing it's job in breaking up the crew-neck. And, girl, I hear you about the crewnecks. You may feel like a bulldozer, but I always feel like a mac truck. Maybe we should hang out together in our crewnecks, since we're both vehicles. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina - only if we can make that backing-up noise: BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...I enjoy that. ;)

    I'm glad someone else feels that way about the crewnecks. I always wonder who's buying all the crewnecks I see in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crewnecks look good on small-busted people like myself. V-necks are even more flattering, but I like to have some variety in necklines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urse - that makes sense. Now that you mention it, I can remember you wearing crewnecks without that bulldozer effect. :)

    ReplyDelete