Thursday, February 4, 2010

more inspiration

I've recently discovered the delightful What Would A Nerd Wear (clearly the best blog title ever). I like her style, but I think even more I like how honest she is about the process of fashion blogging - some days, it's hard to be creative, or you're not thrilled with an outfit, and that's real. I like real. And when this recent outfit caught my eye, I thought I would try a hand at recreating it.

So this...is the shortest skirt I own. I've had it since, oh, late high school, when I was more comfortable with skirts above my knees than I am now. But with two pairs of thick tights for coverage and the rest of the outfit pretty demure, I actually felt appropriate for a series of meetings on campus - and surprisingly warm! Two pairs of tights + wool skirt = very happy legs, even in the biting wind.


Oh wait, did I say demure?

Hello! I freaking love this belt. I also did some more braidy goodness. (I fixed the bobby pins after the photos.)


Happy almost weekend, everybody!

Sweater: Banana Republic
Skirt: Old Navy, ancient
Belt: Target
Scarf: gift from mom
Magenta tights: Hue via TJMaxx (Black tights underneath:street vendor in Russia)
Shoes: Payless
Earrings: Target
Ring: Burlington

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your hair and how it fits perfectly with the design on the back of the belt! This skirt looks great on you and really compliments your legs. I think it's more flattering than some of the other skirts you've worn (not that those don't look great, but this one just looks superb!) I think I love how it shows off so much of the tights which are a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I am LOVING this outfit. I do think that two pairs of tights would be, well, tight on the abdominal region, but it looks fantastic. You've got to show off those gams more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, ladies, thank you so much! Jen, I shall never again fear to wear this skirt, with your kind words ringing in my ears. :)

    CoCo - honestly, because both pairs of tights are soft and not control-top-y, it worked pretty well. And it made such a huge difference in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing!!! You pulled off this look of hers very well. It also reminds me of Orchid Grey. Have you seen her blog!! I think that I am going to try and find something similar to wear. I love this on you!!! And your legs look great with this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose - thank you, you're so sweet! I have read Orchid Grey, and I really admire her style, so I consider that quite a compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete