Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No fear: B.'s Day 1: the dress

I bought this dress a year or two ago as the perfect swing dancing dress - a full skirt for twirling, below the knee (for modesty while twirling), short sleeves, a lightweight breathable fabric in a pretty color, a lovely draped neckline. I wore it once or twice dancing before I discovered how resolutely casual the Boston swing scene is. Since then, it's been sitting in the back of my closet. I keep telling myself that it's too fancy for day time, but then it's too costume-y for a night out (nights out in New England are resolutely casual as well). And there it sat, as ohhoneyno says, wasting its prettiness.

So the challenge for me was to make this dress appropriate for daytime, for teaching, and for a mild fall day.
I added a long cardigan and wrapped the waist tie around the outside a la the academichic girls, gray tights, and my Minnie Mouse shoes. Ta-da! Swirly skirt dress for daytime!

I got a lot of compliments on the dress (and the shoes!) and felt pretty and comfortable all day. A no fear success!
Dress: London Times via TJMaxx
Cardigan: kersch essentials via Costco
Camisole: thrifted in Brooklyn
Tights: TJMaxx
Shoes: JCPenny's
Watch: Target
Silver hoops: thrifted on Cape Cod

2 comments:

  1. such a pretty dress and such a pretty color! i would probably have gone with a boring black shoe, so kudos to you for adding some zing.

    ReplyDelete