Tuesday, December 1, 2009

why yes, I do own pants

I don't like dress pants generally. I dislike shopping for them and I dislike wearing them. They make me feel old and dumpy. Yet I frequently think they look fabulous on other people, such as the roommate of awesome, who wears them constantly to teach in. So, knowing that I had a couple colleagues coming to observe my class today, I thought I'd give these gray pinstripes another chance.

I like the colors of this outfit, and I felt reasonably comfortable and quite professional, but the pants just don't do much for me.


I discovered this morning that my one pair of black dress pants are now...too big. How the red ones got too small and the black ones got too big during the same three month period, I will never know. Time for more dreaded pants shopping, I guess (sigh).

Vest: TJMaxx
Shirt: American Eagle
Belt: TJMaxx
Pants: Sears
Shoes: Fred Meyer's
Earrings: ancient

5 comments:

  1. Where do you normally buy your pants? I have found that if I am willing to spend a little more on higher quality pants they fit MUCH better and last so much longer! I know that both Banana and Express fit me the best as far as my comfort and how flattering they are for me. Have you gone to several places to just find the right fit for you? Once you get that down, getting different designs or colors will be easier in the future.

    PS - I love your sweater. Purple is a great color for you.

    PPS - this is Rose from www.fromsneakerstostilettos.wordpress.com but the open id is acting weird, so I am using my Google ID.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, I find that the "dumpiness" of pants is usually a result of their being too big somewhere (usually side and rear of thighs). As Rose said, as soon as you get a good-fitting pair, you will be pleased. I was just realizing the other day that virtually every post you make is you in a skirt or dress! I have often wondered how you manage, but it's interesting to reconsider people's "comfort" items.

    That is, for you, a "comfort" item is a skirt, because you know it will go well in the classroom as well as in a more casual setting, you know it looks nice with different tops and shoes, and you know how to give the skirt new looks without too much effort. You feel comfortable in your choice and in the skirt itself.

    I wish I could say the same for myself, because I think you always look put-together! I, too, need to learn how to make pants work for me, but my problem is that I wear pants every day and still haven't figured out where to find the perfect pair or what colors (other than plain black) work well on my shape. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose - Thanks for the compliments and the advice. I do love purple. :) The black pants which are now too big were from the BR outlet. They cost a bit more than I usually spend, and I did really like them - I'll give Banana another try.

    CoCo - you're absolutely right about the comfort thing. It's a lot easier for me to find skirts that I like and feel good in. I hate saggy-butt pants, but I also hate too tight ones. It's so hard to find that balance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pants look great on you. Feel free to wear pants more often!

    ReplyDelete