Wednesday, June 30, 2010

field trip!

Today we took all the ESL students to a museum called the Strawbery Banke, a place where several houses have been preserved from different periods in New Hampshire's history, and furnished in historical style. It was pretty entertaining to watch my students try to tactiralk to the people wandering around in period dress, in character as people from history, and even more entertaining to watch the actors try to stay in character when dealing with my students! It was great to get out of the classroom and wander around in the sunshine chatting with my students - I feel like I got to know them as people.

When I'm going to see students but am not actually going to be teaching, I always want to dress down a little, to signal that this is a time when I'm not "on" and we can interact as equals.

Wearing shorts is always a bit iffy for me, as they often make me feel self-conscious. But taking inspiration from academichic and What Would A Nerd Wear, I added an embellished white top and a belt.

I felt polished but still casual - and I was super comfortable walking around in the heat. So...yaya shorts!


Top: Calvin Klein Jeans via Costco
Tank top: ancient
Shorts: GAP outlet
Belt: L.L. Bean outlet
Sandals: Nine West
Earrings: inherited from my grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment